Wednesday, January 06, 2010

My Secret Blackberry Stash


See the little green dot? That's a drupelet, the first of the many individual fruits that make up a blackberry! This is my secret blackberry bush, located on Tracy Island, next to the paddock where Shergar is presently grazing. There are drupelets all over the bush so it's been well pollinated. I'll be swimming in blackberrys soon and I have a few things I want to make, such as cordial and jam, and maybe some special treats. Birds love them too so I'll be covering it up with old vineyard bird netting, but I'll leave part of it exposed for them. There'll be more on this soon, so watch this space...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The secret to great blackberries is famous horse poop!

Nigel Olsen said...

I'd need several herds worth of the stuff - it's a huge patch!