Saturday, February 20, 2010

First Apples Of The Season

Alkmenes, a type of Cox's Orange Pippin.


Alkmene's are lovely and crisp with an acidy bite, not dissimilar to a Granny Smith. These are a little over ripe, hence the beautiful candy apple red colour and bold fleck.


The next varieties of apple to arrive at the fruit department of your local supermarket are Cox's Orange Pippin, followed by Gala and Royal Gala. Late March/April will see Braeburn, Fuji, Jazz, Pacific Queen and Pacific Rose. 

Autumn's on its way, people. Make hay while the sun doth shine...

3 comments:

Ruahines said...

Kia ora Nigel,
Beautiful apples, makes my mouth water! My personal favourite is the braeburn. These alkmene look pretty interesting, I love granny smith as well, but finding real good ones can be hard sometimes. Have a great weekend.
Cheers,
Robb

Unknown said...

We haven't harvested our apples just yet, but just have been finishing peaches and peacherines. Brown rots are so mad this year that I have to bottle the peaches earlier, otherwise they'll be gone within days! I don't think we have Royal Gala, but we do have Braeburn, Kids' Spray, and others.

Nigel Olsen said...

Robb - I love grannys - sweet, yet tart and seriously juicy! I like my apples to have bite rather than sweetness, surprising given my weakness for sugar.

Arfi girl! Yeah, it's been bad here too - far too much rain & warm weather = perfect conditions for mould, rot, etc.